Monday 27 July 2015

Why I want to do Performing

Ok, I really need to get this off my chest, so I'll do it here.

 The most common things people say to me when I tell them that I want to be a Singer/Actor/Performer is either "You must be talented" or "Are you doing that because they're well paid?".
 To the first one, I normally say "I suppose so" or something along those lines, because I have no idea if I'm actually as talented as I'd like to think I am. That said, if I was that talented, I'd probably be semi famous right now. So probably not.
 To the second, no, I'm not doing it for the money. In fact, I always thought that being a performer would be one of the worst paid jobs.


 I wanted to be a performer in late 2010. I had finished performing in Hansel and Gretel, and I had loved rehearsing, going to Wardrobe for costume fittings, and then performing on stage for the audience. It was a rewarding experience. I learnt new skills, and I gave pleasure to the people watching, as I had helped bring the Opera to life along with my twenty or so friends in the Children's chorus. And when the Opera was over I decided I wanted to be a performer.

  Many people assume that the reason I'm doing it is because I like the attention. And I do like the attention. But the actual reason is because I enjoy bringing the Character/Story to life. There is nothing like reading a book, loving a character/characters and the plot and what not, and then seeing it become a great Movie, or a Musical. It is so thrilling.
 Also, you have to think about how to actually bring the character to life. Find out as much as you can about them. Wonder how you can copy that without making it look like you're acting but also without looking like you're just say lines.
 I like a challenge. If I didn't think that I was going to be challenged that much, then I probably would've just stayed with my original idea of being an author.

So no, I'm not doing for the money. I'm doing it because I enjoy bringing characters and stories to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment