Thursday 23 April 2015

Global Warming?

Hello everyone! :D

How are y'all? :) Had good weeks so far? Looking forward to the  weekend? :)

 So, I was doing my work for an essay, and for some reason it reminded me about something that has been lurking in my mind since I went to the Ben&Jerry's free Scoop Day...

Which is Global Warming.

 So when I was waiting in the line for a free ice cream one of the Ben&Jerry's workers came over. She asked if we knew the real reason for the Scoop Day, and I said no. So she went into the history about how it started to raise Global Warming awareness. After that she asked if we'd sign the Petition that Ben&Jerry's was holding to cut down Global Warming. I signed the petition, and my Dad did as well.


And, after that, something started whirring in my mind again.

 Look at the ice cream in that picture above. Read the writing. Now, replace that melting blob of ice cream with a melting earth. You get something that looks like this:


Now then, if there is one thing most people hate, it's when their ice cream melts. But it appears that most people can't seem to get that if global warming goes too far, we'll have more than melted ice cream to worry about. 
And a lot of people go on about how 'We must stop global warming'. But here's a question for you: how many people say that, but do nothing?
 Answer is a lot.  So do they actually care about it, or are they pretending that they do?

So as I thought about that kind of stuff, I remembered what I did when I was younger.

  •  At one point I went and helped plant trees (they were less than a foot tall) in a parklands in Adelaide with my brothers and their friend.
  •  My friend came around for a sleepover one day, and we had five hours before her mum turned up, so we created "Save The Planet" leaflets to put in letter boxs. They said "Help Save the Planet! Why use the car when you can walk, ride a bike, or use public transport?". We actually got the neighbours to stop driving their car to the supermarket, which was three streets away.
  •  Tried to start a "Save the Planet" club. Got as far as writing club rules...
  •  I did that leaflet thing again with some different friends at the beginning of 2013. We don't know if it worked, but we definitely found two of the leaflets (which had been trodden on) on the pavement a day later...
 That was the most I could do at the ages of 9-13. But, now that I'm older and am more focused on different things, I reckon I can help do a lot more. Of course,I can't do too much, but I'm planning on giving it all I've got, by cause I want to live in a better world.

There are many things people can do. Here's a list:

  •  Get rid of your car, and buy a bike
  •  Use public transport
  •  Do car pooling - use it to get to work, school, or parties
  •  Fill up your garden - try growing your own veggies, and trow in some fruit trees. Or make a flower garden with a pond and some native flowers, and maybe some trees. 
  •  If you live in an apartment block, and have a balcony, fill the balcony with pot plants. Flowers, small trees and small bushes will not only help to shade your balcony, it will help to keep the house cool.

I could list more, but I'll leave it at that. Because you will also have to do your own brainstorming to help contribute.

Also, sign the Ben&Jerry's Petition: http://www.benandjerry.com.au/values/issues-we-care-about/climate-justice

Also, did you know that LEGO want to be fully powered by things like Wind and Solar power by 2020?

No comments:

Post a Comment